The project status report template holds great importance in tracking the progress of the project as these reports all the information about the ongoing situation of the project in comparison with the projected plan.
The main purpose of the project status report template is to keep the stakeholders informed about the progress and make sure there are no unprecedented events hurdling the progress. Status reports lay great stress on meeting the deadlines and assure that the project is finished by the decided deadline.
It keeps the team more focused and makes them work harder to meet the deadlines. Everyone who signs up for a project stays in the loop and is constantly reminded about their responsibilities.
The status report also develops better communication among the team which directly shows up in their performance when they are achieving their designated milestones.
Related: Project Portfolio Dashboard
Weekly Status Report Template
Every step carries some sort of purpose and importance in project management and is necessary to keep up with the progress of the project. Here are some points which clear out some essentials of the project progress report;
- The constant report of the progress helps to identify any risks or problems the team is facing so that alternates are provided right away
- Set up a system of rules to monitor the performance of the team
- Individual growth check
- Transparent progress report
- Attain just the actual information about the project’s status
The project status report template is available for free and can also be customized with the help of project managers. This report particularly aligns everything under a document so it is easier to manage it.
The outlook of the report is quite professional and can be used for presentation purposes in front of stakeholders, contractors, or sponsors.
Download: Project Initiation Document
How To Create Effective Project Progress Report Template?
There are ways to write one document but we will tell you about the most practical method of writing project progress widely.
Follow the easy steps to write your own personalized status report.
- Introduction of your project: Start with the title and brief introduction of your project. Keep it precise and self-explanatory so that the stakeholders or investors get the whole concept by reading the start of the document.
- Upcoming Task & Events: Write a summary of the current status of the project. All the tasks are done recently and milestones achieved so far added to the summary. After this mention the upcoming main events or important tasks of the project.
- Decide Project Deadline: The timeline is decided before the start of the project. Mention the pre-decided timeline along with the current scenario of the deadlines. Tell the progress in percentage.
- Decide Your Projects Budget: It is important to know where your project is standing in financial terms. How much you have consumed from the budget and what is left behind? Add the percentage of the budget spent already.
- Mention the upcoming milestones of the project to see if the project is running at the right pace or not.
- Set up a to-do list or action list because there is something that can’t be categorized in project milestones or tasks category but hold importance.
- Keep in Mind about Upcoming Risk: As the project progresses some unpredicted issues or risks are identified and recorded to work further to look for the way out.
There are different templates to record the project’s progress depending upon the time variation.
Daily Project Status Report
It is good for short-term projects or marketing-related projects so that you can keep a record of daily sales and draw conclusions and better strategies. Quick team meetings are conducted to get the daily status of the progress.
Weekly Project Status Reports
These are the most commonly designed status reports to keep the track of the progress as weekly reports have much more solid data regarding the progress. The weekly report also highlights if the project is facing any troubles or hurdles.
Monthly Project Status Report
The monthly report suits better for the longer-duration projects. As they have a longer timeline and monthly report framework, they get enough data to analyze the progress after 30 days.
Here is one generalized sample for the project progress report.
Multiple Project Status Report Template
Managing multiple projects at a time is a tough task. And making individual progress or status reports is time-consuming and tiring as well.
Project managers are managing multiple projects at a time and each project requires attention equally. There are different divisions that require management as per the nature of the project.
The most common ones are task management, resources management, milestones check, and timeline management.
Keeping these particulars of all the projects running by the project manager under a single status report is a good option. This will save time and energy.
A single report of multiple projects will help you differentiate between the progress rates of different projects in the single document.
Related: Project Plan Template
Project progress reports can be broken down into different sections to clearly define the status of the project. Below are some images of the sample templates.
Project managers can alter the template or set up their own personalized one to manage multiple project status reports. Progress is best reported in graphical form.
Construction Progress Report Template
The construction progress report can be both weekly and monthly. Most used are weekly reports as this report keeps the team updated about the weekly progress regarding the tasks completion, resources, and deadlines. Also, it helps to keep up with the hurdles the team is facing. Progress will record in percentages.
A list of tasks is set up on a weekly basis and their progress is reported. In reference to each task, the budget can be monitored.
A project status report template keeps the labor and the rest of the team motivated to achieve the targets. It is always good to rely on a progress report as it gives a depth report of the progress.